Based upon reports of lost QSOs, I have continued to use paper logs in the field. Post activation, I transcribe those using HAMRS, and I haven’t lost anything yet. I did struggle with the mapping feature not working as expected, but eventually realized that the symptom was related to missing grid data, and have just made it a habit to check the status of that field when saving. I change the lookup source and backfill each record as necessary. However, I am becoming very frustrated with a different issue, related to time…
I’ve noticed that as I check my hunter log at POTA.app that the times logged by the activator do not come close to matching the times I’ve marked in my own (offline) log. I suspect that this has caused multiple P2P QSOs to be unrecognized by POTA.app.
When I was transcribing my own log for an activation yesterday, I noted that several of the entries were ignoring my input in the time field. It appeared that the application didn’t like to wait for me to type in 4 digits (looking back and forth at my paper log) and simply used the current time as default, and ignored additional input until I hit the tab key. Once I discovered that this behavior was repeatable, I double-checked my log when completely transcribed, and manually edited and resaved each record with an incorrect time. I then submitted my log.
This morning, I checked the adif file using notepad, and found several records which STILL had an incorrect time.
I’m not a fan of the use of current time as a default. This reduces the value of the app as a tool for transcribing paper logs, which is otherwise very helpful. Let me use the “current time” button as necessary, and don’t try to anticipate what I am going to type.