Allow logbooks to sync to cloud?

Just curious if there could be a way to sync logbooks between devices using the cloud. Like if I logged my POTA activation with an iPad, and wanted to make final edits and downloads from my MacBook when I got home. I’d even pay for it as a premium feature.

3 Likes

This is definitely in the plans down the road, and it would be a subscription feature, something cheap like a couple of bucks a month or something, but yeah sync between devices, and provide a web version.

10 Likes

That would be amazing, and worth a few bucks a month. Maybe offer a yearly subscription as well?

2 Likes

I can’t like this hard enough :+1:

I’m so tired of exporting, importing, deduplicating, wash, rinse, repeat.

5 Likes

Are you also considering syncing with QRZ and LoTW?

4 Likes

I’m hoping it’s in the stretch goals. This and ADIF watch for WSJT-X are the reasons I used Log4OM.

Add me to the “would be willing to pay” list!

3 Likes

@WX1D, you know I hadn’t thought about it, but if you’re a QRZ XML subscriber or whatever, I could make it very easy to sync. I’ll have to look into LoTW because they have that whole ancient signing process thing to deal with. But QRZ for sure.

3 Likes

Would be interesting if maybe once syncing is setup one could run their own sync server or what not.

Or maybe allow syncing while on the network?

That would be fantastic!

1 Like

I keep looking for the SUBSCRIPTION button, but it won’t take my money… i must be doing something wrong.

1 Like

I’m working on it :slight_smile: writing a server and API now. Gotta figure out authentication and all that

3 Likes

I would LOVE this!
I am a QRZ XML subscriber, so that’s where all my logs end up anyway.
QRZ upload would be amazing!!!

1 Like

I would like the option to sync to my iCloud account if that is possible. I understand that you want a central server for any platform to sync to any other platform, but it would be nice to allow Apple users to sync between their Macs/iPhones/iPads on their iCloud account if they so desired.

But that is just my preference :smiley:
Both options could coexist :smiley:

3 Likes

this would be a killer feature! I’m often using multiple devices

3 Likes

Definitely worth it. Please make it a priority. Thanks.

1 Like

oh man yes I would definately pay for this! Just installed the app yesterday evening and I love it. simple, easy, nice looking and with all data very handy and well layed out.
only thing missing is sync between devices indeed, but I am definately already loving it!

1 Like

Yeah, yeah! Me too! I bounce from iPhone to iPad to the Dell and back. Used the iPhone for FD today (wow! 5 Qs) and would love to be able to just have it show up on the iPad too like my cat & food photos do :wink:

I may be wrong, but based on other apps I have that make use of iCloud, I don’t think there’s any recurring cost (like for storage or anything) for the developer. None charge extra for using any features that can make use of iCloud for replicating data or settings across iCloud. I have multiple apps that I’ve paid for that are either free upgrades for life, or there’s an upgrade fee every year or so depending when they release major new features or need to put in a lot of work to maintain compatibility with new major macOS releases. What happens if someone chooses not to renew their HAMRS subscription? Would they simply lose access to iCloud replication or lose access to logs stored in iCloud? Although I will gladly pay a fee for your time, effort and continued development of HAMRS, I feel that requiring a premium level of HAMRS to get iCloud support is inconsistent with what the Mac app developer community has historically done. Said another way, if or when HAMRS supports iCloud I feel it should be in the base (free) version or a one-time, good for lifetime fee regardless of the HAMRS version.

Thanks for your continued effort and support of a game changing app!

5 Likes

If I was using a flat-file database, iCloud would be super easy. I’m not. I’m using a NoSQL DB that lives in IndexedDB inside of the app’s framework - this could be done, but it would be the first time I’ve spent time on a feature that only helps one platform and therefore diverges my code. I’ll see if I can include a freemium model syncing (say, x number of log books), but moving to a real-time offline-first DB that syncs is where I’m heading.