Any chance for a BOTA (Beaches On The Air) Template in the future?

Is it possible to get a template for hams that activate beaches (BOTA), because we have more beaches than parks or summits around.

73’s

I’ve not heard of BOTA - I’ll look at their website to see what fields they require, if they have spot information I can pull from/display etc.

Thank you very much for taking a look, I hope it is possible for you, I really appreciate your attention to this topic.

And thank you for the quick response to my request.

73’s

atta, have you ever submitted a log to BOTA? Do you know where the guidelines are posted, what fields they require, etc.?

Also curious how popular BOTA is in comparison to WWFF, which is a program very similar to POTA and would require very little change to the POTA template to implement.

Hi
Thanks for your interest, the fields are very similar to those of SOTA/POTA.

All columns of a regular logbook plus two aditional columns:

1- Beach reference (a six digit number)

2- The BOTA CODE column it’s a four alphanumerical places code.

Leters on the bota code are never capital letters.

Here is a link to the guidelines

Thank you.

So what do you post to the board then? Is there ever a need to send in / upload a log to the program, or do you manually type in the log (date, time, beach number, contact, band, and your 4-digit code)?

If the former (upload ADI file), then it will be important to know what content needs to appear in the ADIF. Typical award programs use “MY_ SIG” to log the program type, such as “BOTA,” and the beach number would go into the “MY_SIG_INFO” field. Your 4-digit code might fit well in Comments.

If the latter (typed in manually), then you might be able to use the Generic template as-is and enter beach info into the comments field.

My hunch is that a modification to the Generic template (add SIG & SIG_INFO to the QSO section and add MY_SIG & MY_SIG_INFO at the bottom of the panel with my info) would fit the need in either scenario without creating a dedicated BOTA template. There are other award programs too that use those same fields so making them visible in the Generic template could accommodate a wider range of needs.

@jarrett, regardless of whether or not you create a BOTA template, I think these mods in the Generic template would be very helpful.

2 Likes

1 Like