Field Day 2021 Log

Just curious if you’ll be adding a Field Day log?

Yes! Absolutely - with a caveat, I’m a new Ham. I’ve never participated in Field Day (this upcoming one will be my first one). I listened during the Winter Field Day to get a feeling for the flow of the QSOs to create that template - are they same? Can I just rename that template to ‘field day’ rather than ‘Winter Field Day’? What other information would be helpful on that template. I probably need a specific DUPE checker different than POTA’s DUPE checking function, etc.

I’m going to pin this topic, because I definitely want community feedback on this so I can get a template together and get it tested and released before June. Thank you for reminding me. This and the SOTA template are top of the list for me.

2 Likes

Jarrett, I can get you templates for the different logs. I think winter field day is different from field day due to the exchange given.

@Stephen_Anderjack_Jr you ROCK. That would be awesome. I’d also like to talk about how I can do the point calculation for users as well and what that would look like. Also, don’t these logs need to be exported into some other non-adif file? Cabrillo or something?

1 Like

I will have to look into the rules. but we can talk about it anytime.

Maybe similarly to POTA where we can record your own callsign and park once, we could have fields for our end of the Exchange (to aid the operator in remembering our reply) and the club we’re operating with. It’ll be helpful as we rotate operators through the station.

My club will have 2 stations running at all times on the field, with 1 VHF (2m and 6m) bonus station, and possibly a GOTA (get on the air) station for new hams. We may also, like last year, have a few home operators. It’ll be important that all participants include the club name. I’m not sure what field, if any, this would be stored in yet.

The exchange is callsign, class (number of stations on the field and the classification (A, B, C, D)), and ARRL section (like a state’s abbreviation). My club is usually “WS1EC, 2A, ME.”

If you’re calculating score, there’s a lot of bonus points to take into account. The best place to start is probably the ARRL Field Day Rules:

Jarrett,

The Reporting requirements are slightly different between Winter Field Day and Summer Field Day.

Here is a link containing the guidelines and rules for Summer Field Day and you will see a slight but noticeable difference. Thank you for the effort and time you placed into creation of this app.

Patrick K6PFG

1 Like

This is a great resource for contests. It usually lists the exchanged info for each contest. That isn’t to say each and every one should be supported… but if there’s enough interest down the line it’s a good reference.

https://www.contestcalendar.com/weeklycont.php

1 Like

@d3jake_KE0RIY this is a great site!! I’m a new ham so I didn’t know this existed. Super cool thanks for sharing it’ll help a lot!

@Jarrett here’s the link for the Cabrillo standard https://wwrof.org/cabrillo/

This site will also allow you to upload a ADIF file and convert it to Cabrillo, so that might be a temporary fix if you get the template done but don’t have Cabrillo export implemented https://www.cqwpx.com/adif/

1 Like

Hi!
Just a comment about contest functionality. It can be a trap to try to cover all station conditions. I also work VHF contests and while complicated, it is simple compared to FD logging. I wouldn’t blame you if you added a simple single op template with ADIF output. Essentially supporting a POTA-type station operating on FD. #jussayin
Pete N1QDQ

1 Like

Food for thought

Field Day participants usually have clubs with multiple operators operating under the club callsign. This means that multiple radios operating, multiple computers running multiple logs at the same time.

It would be an advantage to be able to run a central computer as a ‘server’ which the other computers would connect to and have a central log in one spot.

There still is a need for a single operator/single station field day logger which does not need a central server.

1 Like

My advice would be to concentrate on the single station scenario. Either a single station, or more than one, but where they are dedicated to a certain band or mode so there is no crossover. Logs can be merged and scored after the fact.
Exchange is class and ARRL Section, so just do a basic validation them when entered. Flag or warn for dupes. Dupes can be left in log, if desired, but will be zero points. Again, scoring is best done afterwards with the merged logs. As is bonus points.
Concentrate on HAMRS strengths - simple streamlined interface and ease of use. Quick learning curve.
Do logging, not scoring. Don’t try to be a full-featured contest-logger. You will never replace N1MM in the big clubs.
Just my opinion as a fan of HAMRS, but a long-time Field Day and contesting op.

4 Likes

Jarrett, I agree with this sentiment. Don’t try to cover the multi-station, multi-op scenario. That will consume a lot of your developer time that could be spent refining other features (like the ability to lock date/time for logging after a park activation, duplicating logs for multi-park activations, templates for WWFF, etc.)

By the way, regarding Field Day specifically, note that HAMRS would be perfect for logging the “Get on the Air” station QSOs. It is only one station anyway.

It’s already been said above but I agree. Stay focused on the single operator app. The simplicity is magic, please don’t lose that. My only request at this point is to be able to import a log from HAMRS on another device. Thanks for creating this fabulous tool!