I do a lot of POTA activations.
A while back, I switched from HamD database to QRZ with a paid subscription and my percentage of found calls increased markedly.
I believe it takes a little while for the data base to be searched and then have that info returned to HAMRS. So during a busy stretch, If you record another contact before the previous one’s search has been returned, that data will not be recorded. Data does not seem to be searched for previous contacts, once another one has been entered.
Second, database searches go via your cell service connection, unless your activation location has WIFI. The time taken to search seems to be dependent upon the strength of your cell service connection. I have noticed that database searches take longer and fewer results are returned if I am activating in an area with lower cell signal strength.
With HAMRS I use an IPad with cell service connection for internet service. My other option is to connect via Bluetooth to my iPhone for seraches. For whatever reason, my iPhone usually shows one more strength bar over what my iPad shows. But for simplicity I nearly always just use the iPad.
The info above pertains to the mapping function also.
When I get back home, I fill in the Lookups I’ve missed.
Try switching your preferred search database to QRZ. It may help.
I am also having this issue using my cell phone. My desk top computer is working fine but Droid app isn’t on 2 different phones and using the same wifi at home. I’m using paid qrz and this worked fine last weekend.
Jon, KK6NLW here - the creator of HamDB.org We did have some downtime which I attempted to resolve quickly. The server became overloaded and I had to offload some traffic to get it back up and running smoothly.
Please keep in mind that HamDB is a completely free service that I personally provide to the amateur radio community. It’s funded entirely out of my own pocket and I manage and develop new features for it as my time permits.
While I’d love to be able to guarantee a 100% uptime, it’s just not possible.
Edit: Although, I should share, the total downtime for the whole of 2022 was less then 30 minutes for the entire year, so it does have a pretty good track record.
Jon, thanks for jumping into the discussion and providing an update. Most importantly, THANK YOU for offering such a great service at no cost! You’ve contributed a ton to the amateur radio community through this capability.