How do get rid of default 59 in POTA log. I have to delete it then enter current signal report whic is a hassle in a pile up

How do I get rid of default 59 in signal report windows. I have to delete the 59 then type in the real signal report which is a hassle in a pileup.

Tabbing to that field should highlight the contents and be ready for you to simple enter say ā€˜33ā€™ to override. Using a mouse to click it or to touch the input on a mobile device might not do the same

1 Like

Why??? RST isnā€™t a POTA required field. I appreciate the correct RST while activating, as it helps determine propagation, so Iā€™m better equipped as to how to layout the dipole. But I donā€™t log it. POTA filters it out anyway. WD4T

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good question. Iā€™m not really sure. Iā€™m new to POTA and thought signal reports were necessary, and early on, a user suggested they should be pre-populated, and I didnā€™t see any problem with that. I made the functionality that if you tab to that field, or click into it with a mouse, it would automatically select that that text like so:

Screenflick Movie 12

Iā€™m happy for more input on it. There doesnā€™t seem to be a way I can split the difference to make both sides happy, so it might need to be something user adjustable?

1 Like

The easiest way to address this, from an end-user perspective, is to add a ā€œstickyā€ button beside each RST field. If selected, RST will persist. If not, it will be cleared once the QSO is entered.

1 Like

I do like the field being pre-populated, RST may not be required, but being polite, hi hi, I always give a report back to the hunter. Having said that, your report will always be a 59(9) from me, and whatever you gave me gets logged 59(9). Welcome to POTA my friend. WD4T

I like this idea. It leaves activators able to decide if they want to record signal reports or not.

ā€“Harry, W1HMM

Tab does not work on ipad mini when using bluetooth keyboard. Any fix for that?

Does tab work for you in any other application from the bluetooth keyboard?

I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad Pro and it works fine. It wonā€™t preselect the RST numbers after I tab into those fields, so I do have to hit the delete key three times to wipe it out, but the tab key does work.

I have to say that I appreciate the RS(T) fields. If not wanted, they are easily removed in ADIF Masterā€¦ or simply tab over them. Thanks to all the work put into and improving this app. I think one benefit, for me, is filling out QSL cards. Most operators fill in the signal report. I love paper cards and itā€™s info available while not making the app too cumbersome. While i have to remember that this is mostly a POTA/SOTA appā€¦ it is also quite useful for a portable general log.
Bill, WA7WS

Let me clarify that statement I madeā€¦ Tab works but does not highlight so i could just enter the RST. I still would have to hit delete to wipe out which in a pileup takes away time and efficiency. When using my MacBook when I tab it highlights so I could just enter the RST without the extra steps.

Agreeā€”it does take time to clear the RST field.

I think @Jarrett tried to get the field to be highlighted after tabbing on iOS (this issue was brought up before) but couldnā€™t get it to work from within the development environment he uses.

If, in fact pota filters it out, why spend resources to modify it? I also ignore it while logging.

@W8DRP Some like to record the real RST for accurate reporting via a QSL card, logging in QRZ.com or eQSL, or simply to have an accurate record of the QSO in the log for posterityā€™s sake.

Understood. Not lobbying, just providing an additional opinion. My experience, even with POTA, has been that many reports are simply 59, especially during pile-ups.

On my iPad it does not highlight the field when tabbing to it. Is there a setting to make it do so? I like the idea of a check box to make those fields active or inactive.

The only way to highlight the RST fields on the iPAd is to tap on the screen. Tabbing doesnā€™t highlight. I recall @Jarrett had tried to get that to function properly but was unable to do so in the programming environment he uses.

I understand its not required, I wonderā€¦ if someone you contacted on POTA sends you a QSL card, and im assuming you will send one back, what do you put in the signal report field?

The fields do not highlight using a bluetooth keyboard with my iPad either. I have to actually backspace through each number to change them when tabbing over. Thanks for any advice on this @Jarrett.