iPad Lost QSOs During POTA Activation

I was camping this weekend and working POTA off and on as I had time. On Sunday afternoon I had 333 QSOs in my log. Later in the evening I re-opened HAMRS and I only had 183 QSOs in my log. Fortunately I was periodically exporting the ADI file as a backup so I did not lose data but the QSOs are gone from my HAMRS log. I ended up creating a new log to complete my trip and I experienced no other issues.

This was my first time using HAMRS and right now I am not sure I can trust using it again at this time.

I was using my 11" iPad Pro with iOS version 14.7.1 and HAMRS version 0.11.3.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.