Is there a way to move logs from mobile platform to desktop?

Where do the logs reside on mobile apps? I’d like to move them to my desktop version. Or is there a way to create a adif file on the mobile and open it on the desktop version? Or export and import?

At present there is no way to move logs from HAMRS on one device to HAMRS on another. According to @jarrett, a web sync capability is under development but hasn’t yet been released.

3 Likes

When I finish my activation, I just do the export and email the log to myself. When I get home, it is there in my email. Download to home computer, review the log for errors, and upload.

Michael WA7SKG

That was not the intent.
The question is to move a log to a desktop computer and keep the log there. By export you mean convert to adif, but it’s not importable into HAMRS.

1 Like

I might get overruled on this, but my understanding of the HAMRS application was to develop a lightweight cross-platform application primarily intended to facilitate mobile/portable operations like SOTA/POTA, suitable for phones, tablets, and minimal devices. It would provide the minimum fields necessary for those specific programs to create an appropriate adi file for program submission. It was not intended as a general purpose Swiss army knife logging program. I think the developers have bent over backwards trying to please too many people as it is to incorporate much more than the original intent of the application. It was intended for data entry in the field and to easily export that data to a suitable adi file for program submission. It was not intended for editing, importing, or otherwise manipulating log files after the fact. While I applaud (to a degree) the developers attempts to make everybody happy, I really wish people would recognize the app for what it is and stop trying to bend it to other uses. In other words, quit trying to use a wrench for a hammer. If you want to do importing or other log manipulation, use a full-featured general logging program like ACLog.

My $.0002

Michael WA7SKG

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more. It was a great app with the minimum needed to log POTA/SOTA. It is becoming the beast it was never intended. I am sorry the devs have taken to listening to trying to make everyone happy and are ruining what they started. I think HAMRS was the perfect app once they worked out some bugs. But instead they started adding bloat and features that I don’t want or need in a field logging app. There are many other logging apps with the features people are begging for of this app. They should go use those.

Just my opinion. DE N5EVV

Michael, I agree wholeheartedly, however you’re missing my intent. I use an excellent logging program, whose name will be left out. I upload my adif files to it and they exist in my complete logging program.
I’m not asking for the HAMRS to have every twist imaginable, I just want to keep my individual activation logs in one location and not have to sort them within my most excellent logging program.
Don’t twist my intent when you have no clue as to how others might like to keep their individual files.
I think the program is really functioning well, however a discussion with a few others at a campsite recently, led to the question, where do the logs, one named and set aside as individual logs exist? Can the be brought to a more central location for storage and referencing in the future?
I’m not trying to use a wrench for a hammer. On at least one occasion, I had to move to a paper log and added 20 more contacts, which would have been a lot easier to do post activation if I could have been able to move to a laptop and use my 10 keypad and a tab button.
I appreciate the work you do for POTA, but on this you’re way off base.
My 3 cents worth!

Jim
WA7VFQ

1 Like

William, (had to look both of your callsigns, so I could address you properly)
I wholeheartedly agree, the app works well and I love it’s functionality and simplicity. I was one of the individuals that requested the extended numbers on the mobile keyboard so mobiles didn’t have to switch between keyboards when putting in a callsign. Sorry if that bloated the app, but it’s sure convenient when I use my iPad.
My programming background says the individual files have to reside somewhere, and it would be nice to be able to access them so you can keep all your logs in one place on a home base location. I do not use HAMRS as my main logging program. I use an excellent logging program, whose name will be left out. I upload my adif files to it and they exist in my complete logging program.
I’m not asking for the HAMRS to have every twist imaginable, I just want to keep my individual activation logs in one location and not have to sort them within my most excellent logging program.
Don’t twist my intent when you have no clue as to how others might like to keep their individual files.
I think the program is really functioning well, however a discussion with a few others at a campsite recently, led to the question, where do the logs, once named and set aside as individual logs exist? Can the be brought to a more central location for storage and referencing in the future?
On at least one occasion, I had to move to a paper log and added 20 more contacts, which would have been a lot easier to do post activation if I could have been able to move to a laptop and use my 10 keypad and a tab button.
Not looking for bloat, just to make the program functional for all. I didn’t request DX Cluster info, or for it to integrate with satellite tracking programs. Just to be able to move the logs it creates.
It’s frustrating to try to have discussion, without having people interject about the intent of the request.
Not my opinion, but a clarification of intent.

Jim
WA7VFQ

1 Like

I don’t need a websync but I do want to be able to import the adif files I export. I use the mobile app on my iPad mostly, I export them to my iCloud Drive when I finish an activation. I want the ability to import them into HAMRS on my Mac to review them when I get home before I submit them. I can’t use AC log as it’s windows based and I’m not buying a windows computer just to do my logs. I also don’t wnat to have to purchase another program to review them at home. A simple import adif function is all I need. If I have to use another program to constantly review them at home then I might as well find a different logging solution, right now I review the adif with a text editor but that is a pain in the butt. I keep hoping he puts an import adif function into HAMRS

Steve K3AX

Sorry I don’t have any references, but there are a number of spreadsheet macros out there that will edit adi files. They work fine with LibreOffice. They are sometimes labeled for Excel, but usually work with LO.

Michael WA7SKG

Thanks, I’ll have to check and see if there is any way to do it in Numbers, I don’t feel like installing another office suite

IMHO, Compared to other logging programs I would hardly rate HAMRS as a “Beast” having “Bloat”. A web sync could be handy.

1 Like

I agree 100%. Why you would want to run HAMRS on a desktop at home baffles me. Its for field use. Maybe people use loggers at home that can’t separate out their POTA logs. Adding countless features, needed by only a few, causes overall bugginess. It is nice and stable now. And I was a hater at first, given all the trashed logs. I use DX Labs. When I import my POTA log from the HAMRS ADIF, I add the fields “Pota” and “K-1234” to the user defined fields. So if I ever need to display, re-create, or fix a Pota entry, its a piece of cake. I really don’t see why you’d keep your Pota logs separate from your main station log. They are all contacts! w1ip

1 Like

Why would someone want to use on their home computer? Geewhiz, why did they make it for free on home computers? My best ham friend uses a flip phone and logs on paper and moves it to electronic mode at home on his desktop for one!
Why all the macho complaints about asking for an ability to save a log and move it?
The logs are created, that means they can be moved!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.