New Feature: QSO Map

Hey, so I have used hamrs for a couple pota activations now and the last 3 have all been outside of cell reception and I know the qso map needs internet access to populate which is ok but once back in service the qso map should populate right?? Am I doing something wrong or is this normal??

TLDR; No you’re not doing anything wrong.

The initial release of the QSOmap is pretty basic and relies on two things at the time each QSO is created:

• My Grid is populated (either by you or by entering a Park into the My Park Field)
  • Their Grid is populated (either by you or via a QRZ lookup if you’re online)

These are both captured for each QSO. If you’re offline, their grid is not populated unless you entered it (unlikely). If you don’t supply a park or your grid sqaure after you create the log, then that won’t be populated for each QSO either. So it looks like I need to do a couple of things:

1. Allow users to do a mass lookup of their qsos with QRZ when you have internet access again, to populate Their Grid.
  2. Allow you to change the My Grid en masse for all QSOs in the Logbook OR, assume the last grid square that was entered applies to all QSOs in the logbook, unless it’s been populated.
2 Likes

That makes perfect sense. It would be really nice to populate afterwards but its obviously just 1 of many great things to come from this app. Thanks Jarrett for busting your butt putting this app together!

3 Likes

Any thought/possibility of adding a feature to extract the map as a jpg or something so it could be posted online? I know a lot of people do that.

Used this app for the first time yesterday. Worked a station in Spain but does not pin on the map. Is this a feature of the qso map.

I use whatever lookup service you’ve chosen to pull a grid square to place a pin on the map. If you haven’t entered credentials for QRZ or HamQTH, then the default is HamDB. HamDB might not have the most international data.

So, I have been adding entry’s into a logbook created with the Generic Template Including my grid square. When I select the QSO Map, the map does not display my Location correctly, it has me located in Wichita Kansas. What am I doing wrong?

I have been testing all templates for the map function.

The map shows the correct location for logbooks created from POTA and SOTA templates

The maps show my location in Kansas for logbooks created from Generic, Field Day, and Winter Field Day.

For Generic and Field Day, I did enter my grid in the box provided, but Hamrs is not looking at that field for the QSO map.

Winter Field Day does not have an entry point for Grid anywhere, so it has nothing to pull from.

This was done on Hamrs that was downloaded from the web, version 0.11.3, on an Intel Mac Powerbook Pro.

@Jarrett

I just tested this in the Generic tempate and agree completely – the QSO Map always either defaults to my current QTH (if I have a built-in GPS in my device, such as in my iPad) or the middle of Kansas. For the purpose of displaying my contacts on the map, the Generic template completely disregards any “My Grid” data entered within the log.

In my opinion, since it is possible to enter a different “My grid” value for each QSO in the logbook, the best approach for displaying the QSOs on a map would be to simply connect the other party’s grid to its associated “My grid” value. If the user chose to enter multiple, different “My grid” values within the same logbook, then the QSOs would be connected to a different set of starting grids as appropriate.

Having the ability to toggle the connecting lines on or off would also be of value since it would reduce the clutter.

I just downloaded v0.11.4 and opened up my test logbooks.

My location now is showing where I am in all templates, so the map issue seems to be fixed in this version.

Nice job Jarrett