QRZ Grid Square Not Pulled In

I have been searching for the answer as to why the grid square will not pull in using QRZ. I have been operating portable several weeks and have changed my grid zone in QRZ so my QSOs will reflect my current location. However, it will still show my home QTH address which is OK. HamDB will pull the grid square but it is for my home QTH as suppled by the FCC. I read in this forum that QRZ should be pulling the grid square. So is it a problem on my side or with HAMRS?

Dave
WB4DES

I don’t think your own grid square is retrieved from QRZ.

I’m pretty sure it comes either from either (1) what you entered manually, (2) what your device reports when you press the button to the right of the MY GRID field (assuming your portable device has a built-in GPS), or (3) the grid linked to your current POTA park number if you are in the POTA template.

The value in updating your own grid square in QRZ.com is to align with any logs you upload to QRZ, and to ensure other users accessing QRZ have your current QTH data.

1 Like

@KZ3L Is correct, you either enter you grid square manually for you log, or you click the ‘pin’ icon to pull it from GPS on mobile devices.

Thank you for the reply. My issue is that using QRZ for lookups for any contacts made, no grid info is obtained. After posting this help question, I discovered from a HRD post that the QRZ account needs to have the XML subscription. My QRZ account did not.

In QRZ, I agree with your statement on logging my contacts into QRZ when not at the home QTH. I also just learned how to do this. For those hams looking me up, I can change the grid, CQ Zone and ITU Zone under the account info. Note that the address can not be changed since it comes in from the FCC info. I also could create a secondary call like WB4DES/QRP and put the appropriate QTH info in. However, for someone logging me, they need to be logged on the web into their QRZ account or using a third party app like HAMRS linking to their QRZ account that has an XML subscription so they will see the changed info.

I hope I am correct on all that I have replied back with. My intention is help clarify what turns out to be a very simple answer. QRZ lookups from any third party app will require a QRZ XML subscription. Note that HamDB gets info from the FCC. I have not investigated where HamQTH.com gets its info.

@DaveHR Yes, QRZ lookups require a premium subscription to give you Grid Square info via query. I thought you were asking about your own grid square in HAMRS, which is not pulled from QRZ.

I understand what you are describing with respect to other users looking up your QTH info to populate their own QSO logs. They will always get your address as associated with the log. Even if you change it temporarily when you’re portable, and change it back later, the other ops will get your QTH data that happens to be posted at the time they look it up. I’m not sure there is a reasonable solution for that.

However, when they upload their logs to QRZ, those QSOs will be matched with the location data you entered for that specific QSO. Your QSO location data does NOT need to match your address on record.

After I log a bunch of portable contacts, I go into the QRZ logbook settings and change the state, county, city, and grid square. Then I import my log (for instance, a park activation log from HAMRS) into QRZ. Then I change the logbook settings again to show my home QTH. This approach ensures my QSOs accurately show where I was at the time the QSO occurred, and allows other QRZ users seeking award credit to get that credit appropriately.

My home QTH, associated with my FCC record and my QRZ page, is in Centerville, OH, Warren County, EM79wn.

You’ll note that for my activation of Hueston Woods State Park today, in Preble County, OH, EM79on, I changed my logbook settings as follows:

All QSOs imported with those settings assume the temporary location data. Here is one of those QSOs:

So the QSOs now match within QRZ, and contain accurate QTH data, but the other op’s personal log may not include my correct QTH if they used the lookup service to retrieve it,

1 Like