For some reason starting tonight in ONE of my logbooks, the map feature isn’t working for new QSO’s added unless I dupe them. Sometimes not even dupes work.
Is this a known issue or something I stumbled across? It is just in one logbook that only has 35 entries. I have larger logbooks that I have no issues with.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I noticed that on one of my activations in the past couple of months. I do know that I had sketchy cell coverage at the park and there is a chance that the laptop was not even hotspotted to my phone at the time. So maybe no internet connection to “build” the map or very slow connection??? I just guessing though.
Frank, do you have a good Internet connection?
You might also try selecting the gear symbol next to the QSO and press the “Lookup” menu item to refresh that log entry.
Solid internet. This is happening at the QTH. I have tried the Lookup, adding it, deleting it, and duplicating it.
At home, solid connection for the lookup tools.
I’ve had random lookup failures and mapping failures.
For the lookup failures, it usually helps me if I exit the logbook and go to the settings panel. Whichever lookup tool you normally use (QRZ or HamDB), select the other one. And then immediately reselect your preferred choice. Then save your settings and go back to your logbook. That usually fixes the problem for me for the rest of the logging session.
Mapping failures usually happen because of a lookup failure or error. Sometimes when entering QSO data, the field for the other ham’s grid square somehow depopulates. The fix for this is to go through all your contacts and force a lookup using the method suggested by KZ3L.
Sometimes the QRZ database has no grid square or an inaccurate grid square for the other guy. There’s no fix for that.
It seems I have to manually look up the grid square each time, so I use ( Amateur Radio Ham Radio Maidenhead Grid Square Locator Map ) to look up each ham and copy the grid square from there and enter it manually.
I’ve tried switching lookup databases and even after adding other contacts re-adding the person. They run a weekly net, so it’s easy to make contact with them multiple times. This one callsign just doesn’t want to map. The rest are mapping just fine. Guess it just won’t get mapped. I know the general area of where he is so it’s okay, it’s just nice to see all the contacts on a map! If there was a way to manually add it to the map, that would be wonderful.
This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.