[Using iPad Pro 12.9"] [iOS 15.0.2] [HAMRS 0.11.5]
I had to go back to this last Sunday’s HAMRS activation log to lookup a contact. When I was in that particular log, I noticed that not a single log entry had the green checkmark showing that the contact had been checked with QRZ. Swear it did when I last had the log open. Anyway, I clicked on the gear icon and selected “Lookup All.” The end result was the following total number of records. My original record count was 35, I think:
Original number of contacts logged: 35
After first “Lookup All”: 60 something
After second “Lookup All”: 141
After third “Lookup All”: 280
All the additional contact log records that were duplicated after the “Lookup All” contained the same info which was the very first contact logged during that activation. So, HAMRS is just duplicating the first contact record.
Somewhat related to this is the fact that only a handful (5 or so) of my contacts ever make it onto the QSO map tab. I use QRZ exclusively for lookups, but in testing it didn’t seem to make a difference which lookup site I used.